Date limite d'inscription: 1 Décembre 2018
The Claude Ake Visiting Chair is a co-financed collaboration between the Department of Peace and Conflict Research, Uppsala University, and the Nordic Africa Institute. The purpose of the scholarship programme is to honor the memory of Professor Claude Ake, prominent African scholar, philosopher and humanist, and to invite applications from internationally recognized senior scholars with professorial competence in their respective fields of expertise.
The Claude Ake Visiting Chair was set up in 2003 at the Department of Peace and Conflict Research, Uppsala University (DPCR), in collaboration with the Nordic Africa Institute (NAI) and with funding from the Swedish Government and Uppsala University. The Chair honours the memory of Professor Claude Ake, a distinguished scholar, philosopher, teacher and humanist, who died tragically in 1996. The Chair is intended for scholars who, like Claude Ake, combine a profound commitment to scholarship with a strong advocacy for social justice.
The Chair is open to social scientists working at African universities with problems related to war, peace, conflict resolution, human rights, democracy and development on the African continent.The visiting chair holder is offered a conducive environment to pursue his or her own research, while there is also opportunity for lecturing, holding seminars and contributing to ongoing research activities at the Department of Peace and Conflict Research and the Nordic Africa Institute.
Application and Appointment
The Department of Peace and Conflict Research and the Nordic Africa Institute currently invite applications to the Claude Ake Visiting Chair for 2019. Applicants should be internationally recognized senior scholars with professorial competence in their respective fields of expertise. Normally, this translates to Professor, Associate Professor, or their equivalence. The Chair holder is expected to spend three (3) months in Uppsala in the time-span mid-August to mid December 2019. Applications from female candidates are encouraged.
L'application doit contenir:
- A complete and updated curriculum vitae (CV), including relevant information regarding academic title, current and previous positions, research and teaching activities, and a list of publications. It should also include all relevant contact information.
- A short abstract of the research project to be carried out as visiting chair holder.
- A research proposal outlining the main features of the research project to be carried out during the visit including the expected results. The preferred time period for the visit during 2019 should also be stated. Please note that arrival in Uppsala should be avoided during the academic recess period of mid-June to mid- August. The length of the proposal should be a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 5 pages.
- Two of the applicant’s publications. These should normally be the two most important articles related to the research project to be pursued during the visit.
- A signed letter of nomination from a senior scholar in the same field. Nominations may come from individual scholars/colleagues, including former Claude Ake Visiting Chairs, and must include a motivation for the nomination.
- A signed letter from the applicant’s Head of Department or Dean (or equivalent) which confirms that the application is supported by the institution with which the nominee is affiliated.
- The awardee is entitled to a tax-free stipend/scholarship of 25 000 SEK/month.
- If the awardee is absent from Uppsala for reasons not associated with the program, deductions will be made to the stipend/scholarship.
- In addition, travel costs and accommodation for the holder of the position, and, if relevant, his/her accompanying spouse/significant other, are covered by the grant.
- The Chair holder is provided office space at the DPCR and NAI, and basic office equipment.
Date limite des candidatures: 1 Décembre 2018
Please note that incomplete applications or applications received after this date will not be considered. Applications should be sent either via regular mail or e-mail. Also note that the Claude Ake Visiting Chair is dependent on external funding. In the extraordinary event that the program does not receive full funding – and the awarded position is withdrawn or the size of the scholarship reduced – the awardee or applicants will be informed immediately.
Addresses for the submission of applications: E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Nordic Africa Institute Att: The Claude Ake Visiting Chair Box 1703 751 47 Uppsala SWEDEN
Pour plus d'informations: