Date limite de candidature: Novembre 9th 2018
The UBC Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) provides opportunities for students from Sub-Saharan Africa to pursue undergraduate and graduate studies at UBC.
The University of British Columbia is pleased to partner with The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program to provide comprehensive scholarships to students from Sub-Saharan Africa. The Program provides access to education for academically talented, yet economically marginalized young people. Scholars in the Program have a demonstrated commitment to giving back to their communities and develop the leadership needed to contribute to social and economic transformation across the continent.
Critères d'admissibilité et de sélection
To be eligible for consideration for The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Masters’ Degree Program at UBC, the applicant must:
- avoir complété un baccalauréat;
- être citoyen et avoir vécu une partie importante de leur vie dans un pays d'Afrique subsaharienne;
- présenter des conditions financières économiquement défavorisées, et être capable de montrer le manque de moyens financiers de la famille ou d'autres sources pour poursuivre des études supérieures dans leur pays d'origine ou ailleurs;
- avoir atteint l'excellence académique dans des circonstances difficiles et faire preuve de qualités de leadership ou de potentiel;
- manifester un intérêt et un engagement à redonner à sa communauté d'origine de manière à améliorer la croissance économique et le développement social de l'Afrique, en s'engageant dans des activités dans leur profession, université ou communauté;
- faire une demande de maîtrise dans l'une des facultés et programmes suivants au campus de Vancouver de l'Université de la Colombie-Britannique;
- Sauder School of Business
- Faculté de foresterie
- Faculté des terres et des systèmes alimentaires
- Faculté d'éducation
- Faculté de médecine
- Faculté des sciences
- être une personne qui a besoin d'un permis d'études canadien pour étudier au Canada;
- s'engager à retourner en Afrique immédiatement après l'obtention de son diplôme de l'Université de la Colombie-Britannique afin d'appliquer leur formation et leurs compétences au mieux-être des autres.
Please note that Convention refugees and students intending to become landed immigrants to Canada are not eligible for consideration for this award.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program covers all expenses associated with UBC tuition, housing and food. Scholars also receive a stipend each month to support their lives in Vancouver.
Step 1: Admissibility Submission:
- Sauder Admissibility Submission: 25 octobre 2018
- All other faculties: 9 novembre 2018
Step 2: Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Application 16 novembre 2018
Step 3: UBC Faculty Applications:
- Forestry: le 14 Décembre 2018
- Land and Food Systems: le 14 Décembre 2018
- Masters of Educational Administration and Leadership (EDAL) – TBC
- Masters of Higher Education (HIED) – TBC
- Masters in Science Education (SCED) – le 1 Décembre 2018
- Médicament: TBC
- Sauder School of Business: le 14 Décembre 2018
- Science: TBC
These dates may vary from those posted on faculty websites. Please note that if you are applying for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UBC, you doivent submit all your documents by the dates requested above.
Step One: Admissibility Submission
- Decide your Program(s) of Interest from the list
- Consult the Minimum Academic Requirements/International Credentials for Graduate Students, listed by country to determine your academic eligibility for the program and MCFstudies* https://www.grad.ubc.ca/prospective-students/application-admission/minimum-academic-requirements-international-credentials*Given that the number of applicants exceeds the number of positions available, a record that satisfies basic entrance requirements does not guarantee admission to graduate
- If you meet the minimum academic requirements, courriel : the MCF Program Assistant at email@example.com to determine your eligibility for the scholarship. In the subject line of the email, please state “Applying for Mastercard Foundation Scholarship- [Intended Program]”. Attach to your email a scanned copy of your transcripts and your CV/Resume. Also provide in the body of the email:
- Prénom :
- Preferred First Name:
- Nom de famille :
- Intended Program:
- Country of Nationality:
- Le genre:
The MCF Program Assistant will accept and determine Admissibility Submissions jusqu'à Novembre 9th, 2018. If you are planning to apply for the MBA, please email the MBA Office Admissions team at firstname.lastname@example.org by Octobre 25th, 2018 to determine your eligibility.
Step Two: Additional Tests
If your Bachelor’s degree was not taught in English, make arrangements to take an English Proficiency Exam (TOEFL or IELTS) and have the results sent to UBC; https://you.ubc.ca/applying-ubc/english-language-competency/ .
Step Three: Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Eligibility Package
You must complete the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Applications auparavant you apply to UBC. The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Applications are due on November 16th, 2018. We strongly recommend you use email as this is faster and costs less. Late or incomplete packages cannot be accepted and UBC is not responsible for any packages not received by the deadline.
In order for the Selection Committee to determine your eligibility for this scholarship, you must demonstrate financial need, a commitment to give back and how your education will contribute towards the transformation of your community, your region or your country in Africa. You must:
- Complete the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Eligibility Form. This would be sent to you by the Program Assistant after determining your eligibility. If submitting a hand-written Eligibility Form, ensure that the document is clearly legible.
- Submit the Personal Statements as listed at the end of the Eligibility Form. Please see below:
- What is of importance to you and reflects who you are?(200-300 words)
- Describe a recent, meaningful involvement in your community, including what your role is/has been in the activity/ies. (200-300 words)
- Why are you interested in studying at UBC, and how do you envision your chosen program of study at UBC helping you to reach your long-term career and personal goals? What drives you to achieve your goals? (200 – 300 words)
- Persistence is crucial to the completion of this Please describe a situation where you had to overcome a significant obstacle/ challenge(s) to reach a goal. How did you react to this challenge, and what did you learn from the situation? (200 – 300 words)
- What else should we know about your financial condition in order to consider you for this scholarship?(200-300 words)
- Provide two reference The same references can be provided for academic application. However, a strong preference will be given to references that can attest to your leadership skills, commitment to community services and why you are suited for this award. (These references are in addition to the ones you have already submitted for your academic references). Please note that each faculty will have specific requirements for reference letters separate to The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program – please make sure to follow these requirements.
- Submit a CV/resume. This should include any relevant education and work experience.
- Submit the Eligibility Form, Personal Statements, CV and two references. Please complete and convert your eligibility documents to .pdf format and email them as attachments to email@example.com par Novembre 16, 2018.
Step Four: UBC Graduate Program Application
- Postuler en ligne: Once your Mastercard Foundation Application is complete, you will receive an email with instructions to submit an online application to
- Review the instructions for faculty applications at: https://www.grad.ubc.ca/prospective-students/application-admission/application-process
- Application Fees: You may be eligible for a fee waiver if your country is listed as one of the world’s 50 least developed countries, according to the United Nations. If you have any questions, please contact the MCFSP Program Please visit this website to check if you are eligible: https://www.un.org/development/desa/dpad/least-developed-country-category/ldcs-at-a-glance.html
Step Five: Reviewing Process
- In March 2019, Faculties will nominate admitted candidates for the Mastercard Foundation Scholarship. A university-wide selection committee will review scholarship applications from all three Faculties, rank them and select award recipients.
- En avril 2019, uniquement. the MCF Scholar award recipients will be contacted and soon thereafter an announcement of award recipients will be made. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are not able to respond to all applicants who have not receive the scholarship.
Pour plus d'informations: